TRICARE Open Season
TRICARE Open Season is November 11 ─ December 9, 2019.
If you are already enrolled in TRICARE Prime or another US Family Health Plan, you can switch to us any time. But if you aren’t already enrolled in TRICARE Prime or another US Family Health Plan, or you want to change TRICARE plans, you can enroll in the Plan in two periods:
- During Open Season or
- Up to 90 days after a QLE
When is Open Season?
In 2019, Open Season will take place from November 11 through December 9, and enrollment will take effect January 1, 2020.
What are the Qualifying Life Events (QLEs)?
Outside of Open Enrollment season, you can only enroll in the Plan if you have a QLE. QLEs include:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Placement of a child by a court in a member’s home
- A child turning 21 (in some circumstances)
- Losing other health care coverage
An extensive, up-to-date list of QLEs appears at the TRICARE website at TRICARE.mil/LifeEvents.
What should I do if I have a Qualifying Life Event (QLE)?
If you want to enroll in US Family Health Plan, you need to:
- Update DEERS with the QLE
- Make the enrollment changes within 90 days after the QLE
- Pay any enrollment fees due during that period
Keep in mind that no matter when you initiate the enrollment change after the QLE, coverage starts on the date of the QLE.
Call 1.888.815.5510 or come to a friendly Q&A event near you.